MOVIES OPENING THIS WEEKEND:
THE DARK TOWER (Fantasy / Action)
WHAT'S IT ABOUT? The last Gunslinger battles the Man in Black to prevent him from toppling the Dark Tower, which holds the universe together.
WHO'S IN IT? Matthew McConaughey, Idris Elba, Katheryn Winnick
- Based on Stephen King's Dark Tower series of novels.
- At various times, J.J. Abrams and Ron Howard were both attached to direct. Nikolaj Arcel ended up with the job.
- The movie is a sequel to the book series, picking up where the books end.
- The budget was $60 million.
WHAT'S IT ABOUT? A mother stops at nothing to recover her kidnapped son.
WHO'S IN IT? Halle Berry, Sage Correa
- The film was shot in 2014 and was initially scheduled for release on October 9th, 2015. But its studio, Relativity, had financial problems and the movie was eventually pulled from the schedule. Aviron Pictures then picked up the movie.
- The budget was $21 million.
WHAT'S IT ABOUT? Amid the chaos of the Detroit Rebellion, with the city under curfew and as the Michigan National Guard patrolled the streets, three young African American men were murdered at the Algiers Motel.
WHO'S IN IT? John Boyega, Anthony Mackie, Algee Smith
- Based on the Algiers Motel incident during Detroit's 1967 12th Street Riot.
- Opened on July 28th in limited release.
- Directed by Kathryn Bigelow (The Hurt Locker).
Disney fans excited to go under the sea with a live TV musical adaptation of The Little Mermaid will have to wait until next year.
Disney-owned ABC has postponed the Little Mermaid Live special, which was originally scheduled to air on October 3rd. The cost of the production is believed to be a reason for scrapping the special. There was also no announcement about a cast. ABC says it will work on the production for 2018. (EW)
Sean Spicer has passed on Dancing With the Stars. TMZ says the former White House Press Secretary was flattered by the opportunity, but declined because he believes he'll have an "overwhelming number of commitments in the fall."
Sylvester Stallone will guest star on the second season of This Is Us. He'll play one of Justin Hartley’s co-stars in his new film within the series.
It hasn't even aired yet, but the revival of Will & Grace has already been renewed for a second season. Also, the first season has been extended from 12 episodes to 16. It debuts this fall.
British actor Robert Hardy, who played Cornelius Fudge in the Harry Potter movies and starred on the TV series All Creatures Great and Small, has died. He was 91.
- Shark Tank A wine for cats; a portable shelter; a maintenance-free way to make anyone a good gardener. (ABC)
- WE Day Selena Gomez hosts an entertainment special celebrating the transformative power of individuals acting together to create change. Alessia Cara, James Franco, Alicia Keys, DJ Khaled, Demi Lovato, Seth Rogen, Oprah Winfrey (CBS)
- Beat Shazam (repeat) Game show (FOX)
- The Sinner (repeat) An unassuming housewife violently stabs a beachgoer to death. (BRAVO)
- Big Hero 6 (2014 movie; animated) A child prodigy, his robot and their friends become high-tech heroes on a mission to save their city. (ABC)
- George Lopez: The Wall, Live from Washington D.C. Stand-up special about organic food, dogs in strollers and food allergies. (HBO)
- Celebrity Family Feud Past contestants from The Bachelor and The Bachelorette (ABC)
- Steve Harvey's Funderdome A cloth for carrying pets; unique scratching posts; a device that helps protect hair weaves. (ABC)
- $100,000 Pyramid Bobby Moynihan, Debi Mazar, Wendie Malick and Jesse Palmer (ABC)
- Candy Crush Teams play blindfolded for a chance to earn an advantage in the game. (CBS)
- American Grit (season finale) One winner walks away with a quarter of a million dollars. (FOX)
- Ray Donovan (season premiere) Ray begins court-ordered anger management after a family tragedy sparks a bar fight. (SHO)
- Life of Kylie (series premiere) When Kylie Jenner learns of a bullied fan looking for a prom date, she plans to surprise him as his date, but her quest hits a huge obstacle at the airport. (E!)
All listings are subject to change.